The Master combines two distance-learning modules with a face-to-face period.
The first module (1 Novermber 2019 – 19 January 2020) this is a distance learning phase supported by a tutoring service.
The second module (20 January 2020 – 15 April 2020) This is a face-to-face learning period that is held in Turin, Italy, at the International Training Centre of the ILO.
The third module (19 May 2020 – 14 October 2020) It is a distance learning home-based research and study period during which the students are expected to finalize their projects, while being at work or home or attending internships.
Distance Learning Cycle - Key drivers of change, societal transformation and innovation for Sustainable development.
Objective: to review the key drivers of change and to analyze the related impact on work and society in the ILO Future of work perspective.
- Social transformation and societal challenges: the ILO Future of work.
- The 3 dimensions of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The role of technology for social purpose.
- Key enabling technologies: Digitalization of the Economy (best practices & opportunities).
- What will the World look like in 30 years?
Face to face Cycle
Module 1) Social Innovation policies and tools and the contribution to the SDGs.
Objective: To describe the Social Innovation approach and to examine policy implications and tools for developing networks supporting innovative solutions with social impact.
- Innovation for Development and the wicked problems.
- Digital transformation and the ILO human – centred approach for the Future of Work.
- Social Innovation concepts, approaches and tools.
- The Ecosystem of Social Innovation: key players and institutional structure.
- Fostering collaborative networks for Social Innovation.
- Social Innovation, public action and citizenship.
- Social Innovation and decision-making processes.
- Social Innovation, collective action and leadership.
- The process of Social Innovation and the application fields.
- Collaborative Economy / Sharing Economy / Governing the Commons / Inner Areas and Urban Poles /Active Citizenship / New public services.
Module 2) Innovation lab: from ideas to business. The social business model.
Objective: To identify and to practice the key steps for enabling social change through innovation design and social business model.
- From ideas to business: Social Innovation design to enable change.
- Design thinking & Systemic design.
- Systemic mapping resources.
- Convergence platforms.
- Community Labs.
- Fast prototyping.
- Social Business as one of the economic and social drivers.
- Social Innovation and the place-based approach.
- The organizational dimension of Social Innovation.
- Unconventional models of management and hybrid organizations.
- Tools for deliberative decision-making processes.
Module 3) Social Impact finance: the social business sustainability.
Objective: To review various Social Impact finance instruments and to examine different modalities to attract external investments.
- How to strengthen investments readiness.
- Social Impact Finance and its instruments: venture philanthropy; social venture capital; social impact bonds; crowdfunding; microfinance.
- Microfinance: models, new challenges, actors, instrument.
- The Italian model and the inspiring experience in the world.
- Equity, quasi – equity instruments.
- Hybrid finance package for combining social welfare and revenue generation models.
Module 4) The importance of measuring impact results.
Objective: To analyze the complexity of Social Impact measurement and to review different approaches and tools.
- What is worth in Social Innovation?
- Plural futures in Social Innovation.
- Social impact measurement and public action.
- Why social impact measurement.
- Frameworks to measure social impact.
- Definition of qualitative and quantitative parameters.
Final distance learning cycle - Research and write-up
This module allows the students to further elaborate and develop their project documents, in order to prepare their final submission and to explore possibilities of concrete implementation